Juyang (John) Weng is a professor of the Department of Computer Science and
Engineering at Michigan State
University, a member of the
MSU Cognitive Science Program
and a member of the
MSU Neuroscience Program
His research interests lie in the intersection of the general fields of
computer science and engineering,
brain science, and cognitive science.
He and his coworkers study mental architectures;
computational models of autonomous development for vision, audition,
touch, behaviors and motivational systems in biological and engineered
systems; and techniques that enable and facilitate
autonomous development of mental
skills. Engineering applications include pattern recognition, computer vision,
speech recognition, language processing, robotics, sequential decision-making, and
human-computer interactions. He is a co-founder
of the Embodied Intelligence
Laboratory and was a
member of the PRIP
From the Popular Press
Free Press) Possibilities
Limitless for MSU's Thinking Robots
State Journal) Dav,
A Robotic Soldier, or Just Maybe a Maid. Another
related article with a picture.
- (Exploratorium Magazine) Bringing
- (ACM TechNews, US) New
Kind of Intelligent Robot Can Learn by Experience
- (KRN, US) Like a
Child, "Smart" Robot Learns Gradually appeared
in about 30 US newspapers including Detroit Free Press,
Philadelphia Inquirer, and San Jose Mercury News.
- (Boiler Magazine,
mente del robot (The Mind of Robot)
- (TP, Singapore) Bring on the
wie die Kinder (Learn like a Child)
- (UPI, USA) Robot
Learns Like a Child
- (BBC, UK) Time
for Real Intelligence?
- Why Is Eugenics Fraudulent?, YouTube video, June 16, 2020. PPT file
- Did Turing Awards Go to Fraud?, YouTube video, June 2, 2020. PPT file
- Did Turing Awards Go to Plagiarism?, YouTube video, May 25, 2020. PPT file
- Emergent Turing Machines and Operating Systems for Brain-Like Auto-Programming for General Purposes, in Proc. AAAI Fall Symposium Series: Gathering for Artificial Intelligence and Natural Systems, Oct. 18 - 20, 2018.
- A Model for Auto-Programming for General Purposes
- Life is Science (26): NSF Should Grasp This Great Opportunity, Sept. 21, 2018
- MSU's $500M Coverup, May 20, 2018
- NSF Severely Lacks Due Process, April 20, 2018
- Decades of Shortsightedness in the U.S. Department of Defense through DARPA, March 26, 2018
- AIML Contest 2017 and BMI Summer School 2017, May 16, May 29 - Aug. 11, 2017
- Life Is Science (13): Many Deep Convolutional Networks Have Academic Dishonesty?
- Life is Science (10): Li Fei-Fei, Plagiarism, and Myopia in AI
- Brain-Mind Talk 1: How Brains Work.
- Open Letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook about the U.S. Government Demand.
- Open Letter to DARPA: Is Neural Engineering System Design (NESD) Program Short-Sighted and Fundamentally Flawed at the Current State of Human Knowledge?
- GENISAMA LLC was established Nov. 2015. It is an artificial intelligence company inspired by brains.
- Artifical Intelligence Machine Learning (AIML) Contest and BMI Summer School 2016. AIML Contest is a new kind of contest, aiming at full automation of machine learning inspired by brains.
- Tutorial: Introduction to Brains as Emergent Turing Machines, 9:00am - noon, August 13, 2015 with ICDL-EpiRob 2015, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA.
- Tutorial: Introduction to How Brains Deal with Big Data, 8:00am - 10:00am August 8, 2015 with INNS Conference on Big Data 2015, San Francisco, California, USA.
- BMI Summer School 2015, June 1 - August 7, and the International Conference on Brain-Mind 2015 jointly with IJCNN 2015.
- AMD Newsletter Vol. 11, No. 2, Fall 2014.
- BMI Summer School 2014, June 16 - July 4, and the International Conference on Brain-Mind 2014, July 12-13, Beijing, China.
- Brain-Mind-Magazine Vol. 3, No.1, 2014.
- AMD Newsletter Vol. 11, No. 1, Spring 2014.
- Brain-Mind-Magazine Vol. 2, No. 2, 2013.
- Brain-Mind Workshop 2013
- AMD Newsletter Vol. 10, No. 2, Fall 2013.
- ICDL-EpiRob 2013 Tutorial: Introduction to Computational Brain-Mind, Osaka, Japan, August 18, 2013.
- Obama's BRAIN Initiative, Opportunities, and Resistence from the Status Quo, IJCNN 2013 Special Session on Mind, Brain, and Cognitive Algorithms, Dallas TX, August 7, 2013.
- Obama's BRAIN Initiative and Multidisciplineary Education, IJCNN 2013 Panel on Teaching Cognitive Science and Computational Intelligence, Dallas TX, August 6, 2013.
- Emotion in Brain-Inspired Developmental Networks, IJCNN 2013 Panel on Higher Emotionon, Dallas TX, August 5, 2013.
- IJCNN 2013 Tutorial: Natural and Artificial Intelligence: Introduction to Computational Brain-Mind, Dallas TX, August 4, 2013.
- BMI Summer School 2013, June 17 - Aug. 2, and the International Conference on Brain-Mind 2013, July 27-28, East Lansing, MI.
- Brain-Mind-Magazine Vol. 2, No. 1, 2013.
- AMD Newsletter Vol. 10, No. 1, Spring 2013.
- Brain-Mind Workshop 2012
- New book: Natural and Artificial Intelligence: Introduction to Computational Brain-Mind, published by BMI Press, Nov. 2012.
- Brain-Mind-Magazine Vol. 1, No. 2, 2012.
- WCCI wide tutorial 2012: Computational Brain-Mind: From Biology, Neuroscience, Psychology, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Mathematics.
- AMD Newsletter Vol. 9, No.2, Fall 2012.
- The Brain-Mind-Magazine is a new kind of magazine which publishes public oriented articles on inner working of single brains and ways multiple brains work together. Created June 2012.
- AMD Newsletter Vol. 9, No.1, April 2012.
- AMD Newsletter Vol. 8, No. 2, October 2011.
- Tutorial: Understanding the (5+1)-Chunk Brain-Mind Model Requires 6-Discipline Knowledge, presented at the Brain-Mind Workshop, Dec. 19-20, 2011.
- Brain-Mind Workshop 2011
- Brain-Mind Institute is a new kind of institute, located at MSU with international participation. Its website was operational, Sept. 15, 2011.
The slides of my talk that discussed political, research, the peer-review problems in US and China:
"Science Should Expend Its Horizon: Suggestions to the US and Chinese Governments",
NSF Workshop on US-China Collaborations, Arlington, Virginia, May 23-24, 2011.
- AMD Newsletter Vol. 8, No. 1, April 2011.
- IJCNN 2011 Panel: Brain-Mind Architectures: Module-Free, General Purpose and Immediate Learning
- IJCNN 2011 Special Session: Brain-Mind Architectures and Learning Mechanisms
- AMD Newsletter Vol. 7, No.2, Oct. 2011. Dialog initiation: "Are Natural Languages Symbolic in the Brain?"
- Decade of the Mind VI. Speakers
- IJCNN 2010 Panel: "Between Bottom-up and Top-down What is `the Much in Between'?" with email discussion.
- Special session: "Mental Architecture and Representation", IJCNN 2010
- AMD Newsletter Vol. 7, No.1, April 2011. Developmental Stereo to appear in TAMD
- Tutorial: "General-Purpose Vision Architecture, Invairance, Attention, and Reasoning", CVPR 2010, Tutorial slides.
AMD Newsletter Vol 6, No. 2, October 2009. AMD Principles: Have We Passed “Black Art”?
The creation of the IEEE Transactions on Autonsomous Mental Development
its inaugural issue, May 2009
Newsletter Vol 6, No. 1, April 2009. LCA to appear in TAMD
IEEE 8th International Conference on Development and Learning (ICDL'08), Shanghai, China, June 4-7, 2009
Newsletter Vol 5, No. 2, October 2008. "“Killer” Applications for Developmental Robotics and Humans: Muddy Tasks"
Newsletter Vol 5, No. 1, April 2008. "How the Mind Works and How the Brain Develops"
INNS Symposia: New directions in Neural Networks (INNS-NNN) - Modeling the Brain and Nervous Systems
Auckland, NZ, November 24-25, 2008.
7th International Conference on Development and Learning (ICDL'08), Montery,
California, August 9-12, 2008
Newsletter Vol 4, No. 2, October 2007. Reply to Dialog: “Should Robots Develop as Human Infants Do?”
Newsletter Vol 4, No. 1, April 2007. Glossary: Genomic equivalence
6th International Conference on Development and Learning (ICDL'07), London,
UK, July 11-13, 2007
Newsletter Vol 3, No. 2, November 2006. What Does the Biological Brain Tell Us About Development?
Special Issue on Autonomous Mental Development in
the International Journal of Humanoid Robotics
Computational Intelligence Magazine feature article, "From
Neural Networks to the Brain: Autonomous Mental Development,"
- Tutorial: Biologically
Motivated Mental Architectures, WCCI
BC Canada, July 16, 2006
Special Session on Autonomous Mental Development of WCCI
BC Canada, July 16-21, 2006
5th International Conference on Development and Learning (ICDL'06), Bloomington,
IN, USA, May 31 - June 3, 2006
Newsletter Vol 3, No. 1, April, 2006. Weng's term as the 1st AMD TC Chair ended. Brian Scaz was appointed for the position.
Newsletter Vol 2, No. 2, October, 2005. Audition and Language are Tightly Intertwined in Autonomous Development.
4th International Conference on Development and Learning (ICDL'05),
Osaka, Japan, July 19-21, 2005
5th International Workshop on Epigenetic Robotics, Nara, Japan, July
Newsletter Vol 2, No. 1, April, 2005. Motivation-free and Motivational Systems
Establishment of the ICDL
Governing Board, January 2005
Newsletter Vol 1, No. 2, October, 2004. Dialog: Object Detection and Object Variance in Autonomous Mental Development
Issue on Autonomous Mental Development in the
IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation. Papers due March 15, 2005
Mental Development by Robots and Animals" at Dept.
of Computer Science, Wayne State
University, Sept. 28, 2004
- 2005 AAAI Spring Symposiums, Developmental
Robotics Symposium, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, March 21-23, 2005
- The creation of
AMD Newsletter: the inaugural issue: AMD
Newsletter Vol. 1, No. 1, April 2004
The creation of International Journal of Humanoid Robotics and its inaugural
issue, April 2004
- The 3rd International Conference
on Development and Learning (ICDL'04), San Diego, Oct. 20-22, 2004
- IJCNN'04 Tutorial:
Autonomous Mental Development: A New Frontier for Computational Intelligence,
July 25, 2004
The creation of the Autonomous Mental Development Technical Committee of
the IEEE Computational Intelligence
Society, Feb. 2004.
maintained AMD TC web pages for 2008 - present.
A history: locally maintained AMD TC web pages for 2004 - 2005.
Neural Networks Society changed its name to IEEE Computational Intelligence
Society, Feb. 2004
- IEEE Connections:
"The brain is not only an information processor, but also
with the feature article: "Autonomous Mental
Development: A New Frontier for Computational Intelligence." Nov.
ACCV'04 Tutorial: "Developmental
Vision," Jan. 2004
- One Book, One Community
event: Panel session. "What Makes Us Human?" East
Lansing Public Library, 7:00 p.m. Oct. 2, 2003
- New Journal: International
Journal of Humanoid Robotics
2nd International Workshop on Epigenetic Robotics: Modeling Cognitive
Development in Robotic Systems, Edinburgh, Scotland, August 10-11, 2002
- The 2nd International Conference
on Development and Learning (ICDL'02), held at MIT, Cambridge, MA,
June 12-15, 2002
- Science At The Edge
Seminars, MSU, Fall 2001
- IJCAI-2001 Workshop
on Reasoning with Uncertainty in Robotics, Seattle, Washington,
August 4-5, 2001
- MSU Intelligent Robot
Distinguished Lecture Series
- Creation of Mental Development Repository
(www.mentaldev.org), Dec. 2000
- NSF/DARPA Workshop on Development
and Learning (WDL), held at Michigan
State University, April 2000
- A Short
- Curriculum vita
- Technology Transfer: GENISAMA LLC, Autonomous Vehicle Systems.
- AAAI Vision page .
topic page about ``AI: Artificial Intelligence,'' a new movie .
- Cog humanoid robot at MIT.
- Cres Corporation providing service for
robot mental development, machine learning and data mining.
- Dynamic Brain (DB) project and
humanoid robot at ATR.
- Fujitsu miniature
humanoid robot HOAP-1.
- Honda humanoid robot Asimo.
- Humanoid robots at
- Mental Development Repository:
University's Repliee Q1
- Robotics Who's
Who maintained by machinebrain.com .
developmental robot at MSU.
- Sony AIBO
- Wall climber robots at MSU.
Prof. Juyang (John) Weng
Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering
428 South Shaw Lane, Room 3115
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1027
Tel & FAX: 517-353-4388
E-mail: weng at cse.msu.edu
To Department Home Page